, , , , , , , , ,

I had a lie on Saturday morning. I woke to found I had been eaten alive by mosquitoes and had just over 40 bites on my hands and arms… I went outside the hostel to find some children have a lessons around the cathedral. I spoke to John again and he introduced me to some of the children.

Arthur came to pick me up and take me round Musoma. We first visited a carpentry workshop, where they were making the doors and windows for the Bunda’s girls school. As with the workshop near me in Soweto, much of the work is carried out with a machete and no safety gear (Sun glasses for welding, t-shirts and flip-flops being worn). We then did a few jobs Arthur had to do round town, before heading to a small cafe for breakfast. It was a simple self-service place but the chai (tea) and different bread products were really good.

Our next stop was a drive around the town, which is smaller than Moshi but busy very busy in a different way. We headed out to the hotel  which is on a little peninsula into the lake. We had a drink in a little hut right on the water. It was so quiet, and the lake and surrounding area were a fantastic sight. Some fishermen passed on their boat, and Arthur started to talk to them. He asked me if I wanted a ‘lake cruse’, I said yes and jumped aboard for a couple of minutes. It was great, and Arthur got some really nice photos of me on the lake. We walked around the rest of the hotel, and lake shore before driving back to Musoma.

We saw the fishermen walking into town, and Arthur gave them a lift. They had a chicken with them and Arthur got some discount for it by giving them a lift, he is going to call the chicken David. I was surprised to see the guys couldn’t get out of the car. After I left them out, Arthur explained to me they would have been in a Dala Dala before, but never a car… We did a few more jobs round town before going for lunch. Arthur very kindly let me have a quick drive. I was very nervous as there are so many motor bikes in Musoma, tens of thousands – Amazingly two years ago there were none! We had some brilliant Chips Mayi (a chip omelet).

Our next stop was at Musoma Children’s home. A baby orphanage just up the road from Arthur. It is run by Mama Daniel, who is a Finish lady who has been in Tanzania since 1979. The orphanage was beautiful; Very clean and simple. It was light years away from Upendo orphanage in Moshi. I told Mama Daniel about my experience in Upendo (how the kids can be almost force-fed huge plates of food, no toys etc) and she said it wasn’t uncommon.

After a short time relaxing at Arthur’s, with some brilliant cake, Arthur and I were off again. Last night Arthur had had very little sleep again. He got a call at midnight asking him if he could take a very sick woman to hospital, he stayed with her till the early hours. He did not know this woman. We were going to visit her. I was asked by many people to help them in the hospital, as they assumed I was a doctor. The hospital was a real experience. Arthur was really worried about the amount of mosquitoes in the hospital so we flew round town so he could buy this lady some repellent to ensure she couldn’t get malaria. I was really taken back by such kindness he showed a stranger.

I was taken back to the hostel to change and get ready to go for dinner at Cannon Francis’s house. I was collected by his wife, Pam, and the Bishops driver. I was asked what I liked for dinner, and felt a little embarrassed as I would have eaten anything.  I sat inside for a while before going outside to see what Freyda and Fiona were doing, their two daughters. They had two friends over and were all skipping and playing with an old bike tire. I joined in, much to the amusement of the girls. We had some lovely fish, rice and fruit for dinner – with Avocado juice. Cannon Francis wanted me to attend a confirmation service in the morning, so it was decided that I would stay at his house.

This slideshow requires JavaScript.